The FIVES-LILLE steam locomotives
Edmond ROY created 0-6-2 steam-tender-locomotives, in which the radiant axles acts
like a bissel, facilitating the running of the engine in tight radius curves. This
steam engines were running with the smoke stack behind, so that the engine driver
would not be choked by the steam and firebox exhaust while passing through the
The total weight of these locomotives was of 30 to 37 T; the horsepower was of 225 to 275 HP, varying from one series to another. The diameter of the motive wheels was one meter; all were equipped with non-automatic vacuum-brake.
These electric locomotives could now be said "revolutionary". Designed by
the swiss engineer René THURY, and built
by THURY works (Geneva, Switzerland, later SECHERON works - S.A.A.S.) they were the
world first high DC voltage locomotives. At the beginning of the century, all the
electrical locomotives were supplied with a maximum DC voltage of 600 V.
René THURY choosed 2400 VDC voltage, shared in two thanks to a 3 wire
system. Two single conductor lines were feeded under plus and minus 1200 VDC,
and the rail fixed the null voltage point. So, a maximum value of 1200 V is
applied (between any "hot point" and the ground). |
Four current collectors bows were set on the roof, quickly replaced by twin-arms
pantographs. At slopes, the E1 could haul 20 empty coal-wagons (100 T). When
coming down, the maximum speed was 22,5 Km/h (300 T coal trains). Four
others machines were built by THURY and PINGUELY (France).|
In 1932, the SGLM reveived five brand new electrics, built by SECHERON works
(Geneva, Switzerland), and the "Ateliers du Nord de la France". These
Bo-Bo machines are 12 m long, 60 T weight, and the motive power is rated
SECHERON's can haul 360 ton-trains when coming down and 175 ton-trains at
grades. When delivered, these locomotives could operate under two DC-voltage
systems : first, +1200 VDC / 0 V / -1200 VDC (two single-conductors
lines), and second, 0 V / +2400 VDC (one single-conductor line). On the
roof were installed four twin-arm pantographs (two at each end).|
Four differents brake systems were installed: screw brake, vacuum-brake,
rheostatic brake, and electromagnetic brake show (clamping on the rail). At this
time, they were "high tech" because of suspended motors and elastic
Re-numbered T6 to T10, they are still in service. Red-painted (CFF-like !), they now haul passenger-trains, in spite of more than a million of kilometers ride ! These "old ladies" are now among the oldiest narrow gauge electric locomotives (65 years old).
These electrics were 42 tons weight, and 16 m long. Each one of the four traction
motor was 100 HP. They were designed and builded by the "Compagnie
Française THOMSON-HOUSTON (later ALSTHOM)" (electrical part) and the
"Chantiers de La Buire (France)" (méchanical part). The first one
(A2) was delivered in 1913, and the last one in 1927.|
All are now rattled or out of order. Numbers A1, A3 et A5 are preserved, but must be quite entierly re-build before operating.
Between 1985 and 1993, the SGLM received 4 electric power cars, coming from the
Nyon-St Cergue-Morez Railway (Switzerland). These were builded by Brown-Boveri
(BBC - Switzerland), and SWS (Switzerland) between 1914 and 1918, and were in
service till 1984.|
They are equipped with an air-brake, an electric-brake, and a screw-brake. Their
capability is of 50 seats, and some have a luggage van.|
They weigh 32 tons and each of the 4 traction motors is rated 100 HP. Designed for operation under 2200 VDC, these cars were modified receiving pantographs replacement, and additional resistors on the roof. Two of them (N° 1 and N° 5) are now in revenue service on the SGLM line.
These engines are diesel-electric: designed and builded by the BRISSONNEAU et LOTZ works (Creil plant - France), they belong to a serie of ten machines buidlt near after the second world war. Of BoBo type, with a motive power of 600 HP, they can haul 300 ton-trains on level, or 120 ton-trains on a 12 percent grade.
They were equipped with two diesel prime movers (builder : RENAULT, 12-cylinders, 1500 rpm), and their highest speed was 60 Km/h. The total weight was 50 T, and they could operate in multiple units.
Two other engines (of the same type) are now in service: one on the "Chemin de Fer du Jura - C.J." (Switzerland), and another one on the "Chemin de Fer de La Provence - C.P." (France).
The T4 is now in working order, but not in operation.
This loco can haul loads at a maximum speed of 8 Km/h, such as:|
Maximum speed: 50 Km/h. This car is now always in operation, used by the
maintenance of way Department.|
Back to ERS
The European Railway Server
Rail Modélisme Sud Isère