The Ganz BCs motor wagon
Ganz-MÁVAG Works and Engine Works of Budapest, Hungary, initiated the
production of motor traction vehicles in Hungary. In 1927 they produced a motor
wagon of the MÁV BC mot. series, characteristic for its light construction with
two axles and gasoline motor Ganz VI Am C 130 (66 kW / 90 hp).
These motor wagons adopted in 1928 a new, more developed standard
diesel-motor Ganz VI JmR 150 (81 kW / 110 hp), and a few years later even better
and specially constructed diesel-motor Ganz VI Ja R 135/185 (88 kW / 120 hp).
The power of the diesel-motor was now sufficient, and this was the one to be
installed into the further motor wagons destined for export, beginning with
1937. The wagons now had three axles and more wagon classes.
The BCs series motor wagons were equipped with mechanic transmission
through the cardan onto one driven axle, and the heating was featured with the
warm water of the diesel-motor. These wagons were destined for short commuter
Some of the Ganz motor wagons with two or three axles were in service
since 1939 in Osijek (Croatia), and soon afterwards four units were destined to
According to the Temporary inventory of passengers' wagons of Zagreb
Railway Direction, composed on 1955/02/15, there was one BCs motor wagon no. 430
with two axles, an another three-axle motor wagon BCs no. 507, and additional
two non-operated motor wagons with the serial number 120-005 (two-axle) and
130-001 (three-axle) available. The last mark for a two-axle motor wagon was
813-5, and for the three-axle wagons 813-6.
The motor wagons of the series were utilised within Zagreb junction for
the transport of workmen and students between Zagreb Central Station —
Maksimir Park — Zagreb-Borongaj — Trnava (6 km). After the World war II,
they sometimes used to drive all the way long to Sesvete (11 km). All the time
before and after the war they were marked in the schedule as local trains Z1,
Z2, Z3... (as for Zagreb) until 1967, when they were withdrawn and subsequently
written off. Due to such rides with frequent short transporting — or leaps —
they were nicknamed »Zec« (Hare) by faithful passengers.
Technical data of the wagon:
|Axle arrangement||A1 or A2|
|Years of construction||1934—1937|
|Manufacturer||Ganz-MÁVAG, Budapest, Hungary|
|Received into traffic||1939|
|Power of the unit||88 kW / 120 hp|
|Max. speed||60 km/h|
|Wheel diameter||920 mm|
|Weight of the unit
|18.7 t / 22.7 t|
|Axle pressure||9.3 t / 7.5 t|
|Length including buffers||13860 mm|
|Ganz VI Ja R 135/185 (88 kW / 120 hp)|
The repairs of the diesel-motors and gear-change were initiated already before the war. The last interventions on the traction devices of the wagons BCs 430 and 507 were made from 1957 till 1960.