I.G. "Harzer Schmalspurbahnen e.V." - 100 years 99 5901 "steam special" - February 1997
The Interessengemeinschaft / I.G. "Harzer Schmalspurbahnen e.V", i.e. the support group of the Harz Narrow-Gauge railways was created in 1990 by a group of young and motivated railwaymen.
Originally, a work group had been organized during GDR times: in 1988, dieselization was planned in the Harz with 30 engines of the type 199.8 (10 units of which are in operation today, mostly in freight service), and the steam locomotives were bound for scrapping...
Within these plans, the group worked on maintaining some kind of traditional operations.
After the border was open, there was very quickly an expression of wishes to reopen the service to the Brocken, which was closed since 1961, according to measures accompanying the building of "the Wall".
On the basis of this work-group, a support group was organized with the following goals: keep steam operations, maintain a set of historical vehicles, advertizing for the railway and for a global transportation concept, environment friendly, for the whole of northern Harz.
Several of the actions organized by the group:
- obtain signatures for the reopening of the Brocken line
- take part in conceiving the "Harz 2000" tranportation concept
A dramatic event caused changes in the actions of the group when, in 1991, a rather radical concept was elaborated where the whole network was abandonned except the Wernigerode to Brocken line, and all steam operations were stopped too !
The group did its best to motivate the public to the problem and helped building up the basis of today's operations...
And, 10/02/93 the management of the whole was transferred to the new "Harzer Schmalspurbahnen GmbH" and the group now works as a support group, closely collaborating with the HSB management.
Currently, the activities of the I.G. "Harzer Schmalspurbahnen e.V" are:
PresidentI.G. "Harzer Schmalspurbahnen e.V."
"Specials" reservations, information, etc...I.G. "Harzer Schmalspurbahnen e.V."
* General disclaimer: while every precaution has been taken in the preparation of these documents, the author assumes no responsibility for errors or ommissions, or for any kind of damages resulting from the use of the information herein.
* Status: OK
* Last update: 12/12/1996
- german text is © I.G. "Harzer Schmalspurbahnen e.V.", translation and customization © Philippe Quiot
- "Harz-specific" logos, graphics, etc... © Philippe Quiot unless specified otherwise, others belong to their authors
* e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com