Railway Operators in Luxemburg


CFL - Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Luxemburgeois

Network length, gauge and electrification (2006):

Railway operation began in 1859 in Luxemburg, through Société Royale Grand-Ducale des Chemins de Fer Guillaume-Luxembourg (Königlich-Großherzogliche Wilhelm-Luxemburg Eisenbahngesellschaft) [GL], which opened from 1859 until 1889: As from day one, GL was directly managed by French Chemins de Fer de l’Est [Est]. In 1868, a new concessionary, Chemins de Fer Prince-Henri SA (Prinz-Heinrich Bahnen AG) [PH] was set up, so as to operate new yet more secondary lines, opened from 1873 until 1891: As a result of the Treaty of Frankfurt 1871, GL passed under control of the Kaiserliche General-Direktion der Eisenbahnen in Elsaß-Löthringen [EL], which took over all railway lines from Est in Northern Lorraine and Alsace .
From 1882 until 1904, narrow-gauge (1,000m) lines were also opened and operated by: Under the Treaty of Versailles 1919, GL passed to Chemins de Fer d’Alsace-Lorraine [AL], a company wholly-owned by France and which took over EL lines. In 1934, CSL, CC and CV were merged into Chemins de Fer à Voie Étroite (Luxemburger Schmalspurbahnen) [CVE]. Following the French Nationalisation Act 1937, GL was directly managed by the Eastern Branch of newly-founded SNCF.
In 1946, the Grand-Duchy of Luxemburg signed a convention with the French Republic and the Kingdom of Belgium, under which GL, PH and CVE were merged into SNCFL SA (Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Luxembourgeois) [CFL]. As from day one, this public limited company was held for 51% by Luxemburg, while France and Belgium held 24.5% each.
Narrow-gauge lines closed down in stages from 1948 until 1954, while ex-PH lines were cut back to Kautenbach-Wiltz, Ettelbrück-Diekirch and Esch sur Alzette-Rodange in 1954/1968.

Passenger traffic is primarily driven by commuters working in the City of Luxemburg, often coming from France, Belgium and Germany. In 2006, CFL and Arcelor-Mittal set up a joint-subsidiary, CFL-Cargo, which took over most of the Freight business of CFL and EuroCargoLux, save intermodal services.
CFL takes part to various extends in the operation of regional and mainline passenger services to/from France, Belgium and Germany. However, it wholly operates 2 lines into French territory, without being associated with SNCF:

In 2014 21.5 million passengers travelled with CFL (3.8% more than in 2013).

Websites: http://www.cfl.lu/ and http://www.railinfra.lu/

Stock Tables:

CFL-Cargo - Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Luxemburgeois - Cargo

Network length, gauge and electrification (2004):

CFL-Cargo was set up in 2006 to take over the whole of CFL freight business (including EuroLuxCargo), save traction of Intermodal services. CFL-Cargo is held by CFL for 66% and Arcelor-Mittal for 33% (through Arcelor Profil Luxembourg).
CFL-Cargo controls 2 other railway operators: CFL-Cargo currently holds safety certificates for Luxemburg and France. In 2009 6.6 million tonnes of freight (25% less than in 2008) was transported, producing 593 million tonne-km.

Website: http://www.cflcargo.lu/

Stock Tables:

Last update: 19-08-2015