National infrastructure manager of Portugal

 Infraestruturas de Portugal (former REFER)

Network length, gauge and electrification (2019):

The national railway network in Portugal is managed by Infraestruturas de Portugal. This part of this company managing the railway network used to be known as REFER. Track maintenance and building is carried out by railway construction companies and other operators.
The Linha do Vouga is the only remaining narrow gauge line still in service, although there are plans to reopen the line around Mirandela (part of the Linha do Tua).


Railway Operators in Portugal

 CP - Comboios de Portugal

Network length, gauge and electrification (2014):

At the end of 2004 the meaning of CP was changed from Caminhos de Ferro Portugueses (Portugese Railways) to Comboios de Portugal (Trains of Portugal), because REFER now actually manages the railway network and CP only operates trains. In 2008 the freight sector of CP was renamed into Cargo Logistics Portugal (CLP) but is better known as CP Carga.

In 2014 109.8 million passengers travelled with CP, 3% more than in 2013.

In 2016 the freight operating business CP Cargo was sold to MSC, trading under the name Medlog (now Medway).


Stock Tables:

 FTG - Fertagus

Network length, gauge and electrification (1997):

Fertagus operates double-deck passenger trains over the link over the river Tagus in Lisboa, from Lisboa Roma/Areeiro to Setúbal.


Stock Tables:

 MED - Medway Transporte & Logistica

Network length, gauge and electrification (2016):

Mediterranean Shipping Company SA announced that its subsidiary MSC Rail completed the acquisition of a 95% stake in CP Carga on January 21 2016, taking control of the freight and logistics business of national operator CP. The remaining 5% of the company is to be offered to employees. In May 2016 the name of the rail freight business was changed into Medlog, later changed again into Medway. Medway has taken over 34 electric and 30 diesel locomotives from CP, so not all CP Carga locomotives (more information will be added when available). Medway will lease 4 new locomotives from 2017.

In 2022 Medway created a new subsidiary Medway North Continent with office in Antwerp(B), for operation of freight trains to Germany, Belgium and The Netherlands. Until now, Medway uses BLS Cargo and Crossrail Belgium traction to operate trains in these countries.


Stock Tables:

 TK - Takargo (Cargorail)

Network length, gauge and electrification (2008):

Takargo is the first open-access freight operator in Portugal. Their main traffic is intermodal trains from ports in Portugal towards Spain. They use both second-hand CP locomotives and new locomotives.

In March 2022 Captrain from France announced that it had acquired Takargo.


Stock Tables:

Last update: 01-04-2022